Being one of the head coaches for Team Canada Powerlifting since 2012, I’ve worked with hundreds of world-class powerlifters, and have submitted over 4,500 attempts in international competition. With this experience, I’ve come to understand common mistakes that plague even the best of lifters on meet day.
What are these mistakes?
- Taking warm-ups after the ‘change deadline’
- Not willing to adapt the game plan
- Not being able to shake a missed lift
- Getting caught up with the ‘negative talk’ of others
- Not getting enough ‘energy’ or hype for deadlifts
- Having only a singular goal for the competition
Let’s look at these mistakes further so that you know what not to do when competing.